Library service began in the Hopewell - Prince George area in 1930 when Thomas B. Robertson established a Library Association for persons interested in forming a library. In 1931, the city formally took over operation of the library, with Mrs. Maude Langhorne Nelson as its first librarian. The John Randolph Library as it was then known was located in the State Planters Bank Building (now the United Virginia Bank). In 1957 the library was moved to the annex of the Municipal Building and the name was changed to honor the first librarian, Maude Langhorne Nelson. In 1974 Prince George and Dinwiddie Counties joined the City of Hopewell to form the Appomattox Regional Library.
209 E Cawson St, Hopewell, VA 23860